Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting in the Game (what a corny title!)

My first gaming system was the NES. I got my first computer when I was 9. It was my xmas gift, not a family PC. I've always been a geek. Me and Dan started trying to make games using shitty 'make your own game' apps when we were in grammar school. I started learning c++ and html when I was in about 6th grade. I've been coding ever since. I've been gaming and I've been coding. So why haven't I started learning actual game development until now?


Back in November 2009 I was listening to the first episode of 1ups Oddcast and heard a fantastic interview with James Silva. James is an experienced developer from Ska Studios, the team that made The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. He talked about how he made the game: I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1 in just a few days using the XNA framework. He talked about how all you need is the free version of Microsoft Visual Studio C# Express, the free XNA framework, and some knowledge of coding (c# in particular would be good.) Well Shit. I've been making webapps in C# at work for a while now, and I've got at least 10 years of coding under my belt (although the first 5 years are bullshit lol). I headed out to B&N and picked up a book about XNA and started learning about how the whole thing works.

Most tutorials are really boring. I learn a ton, but it is never focused towards what I want to make. So sometime around the end of March or so I started working on my own project. It's not pretty, and it's not good, but it's mine. I'll keep working on other tutorials as well, but I'll keep feeding everything I learn into my game, and I'll focus on learning things in such a way that it moves my game forward. I'm working on My game idea for once.

More to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment