Saturday, November 28, 2009

How I Brew [Part 1]

I've been asked quite a few times lately about how I brew and what I use to do things so I figured that I could explain here on the blog. I'll also say right off the bat that the pics of Northern Brewer's products are copyright by them and all that so Northern Brewer I'll take them down if you want, but otherwise it makes for free advertisement right?


Equipment
The startup cost for home brewing isn't as high as you might expect.
I started out with:
  • a Northern Brewer Basic Starter Kit (~$75)
    Includes:
    • Six gallon fermenting bucket with lid
    • Six gallon bottling bucket with spigot
      • Fermentation lock
    • Siphon tubing
      • Bottle filler
    • Bottle brush
      • AutoSiphon
    • Bottle capper
      • 144 bottle caps
    • Hydrometer
      • 8 oz. One-Step Sanitizer


  • 5 Gallon Stainless Kettle (~$38)
  • 48 12oz Beer Bottles (24 x2) (~$28)

    This makes the Startup cost about
    $150 plus shipping, so around $200 (rounding up)
    You could probably bring this down by saving up your own bottles and buying a cheaper kettle somewhere, but really it's more convenient to order them all from NB.

    Since then I got:
  • (2x) 5 Gallon Glass Carboy ($31.99 each)
  • a thermometer
  • an airlock
  • some bungs
  • a big as hell Tupperware container to store stuff and in which to sanitize things
  • probably one or two other random things. 
Next time I'll talk about ingredients and other things that I need to keep buying, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment